As per the recommendations of The National Working Group on Urban Transport for the 11th Plan and the guidelines of the National Urban Transport Policy, the Government of Karnataka in its Government Order No. UDD 134 BMR 2006 (I) Bangalore. Dated 8.3.2007 has created the State Directorate of Urban Land Transport [DULT] under the Urban Development Department. The key objective of the DULT is to ensure integration and coordination of land-use planning and development of transport related infrastructure in urban areas. The functions of DULT have been defined in the above referred Government Order. Accordingly, one of the key functions is to take up Comprehensive Traffic and Transportation Studies [CTTS] for all urban areas in a phased manner. Thus the need for integrating land-use planning and transportation is seen as a major thrust and challenge for the DULT.
On the lines of National Urban Transport Policy (NUTP), 2006 and recommendation of National Working Group on Urban Transport for 11th Plan Govt. of Karnataka has constituted the Directorate of Urban Land transport (DULT). As indicated in Government Order following are the functions of the DULT.
- Periodic assessment of travel demand
- Determination of the level of public transport required in different corridors and the type of transport systems required
- Assessment & recommendation of the new investments needed creation of infrastructure
- Procurement of public transport service from private operators
- Policy guidelines for development of total network in urban areas/ new layouts
- Designing and developing integrated policies and plans for city level transportation